Sunday, November 20, 2005

Swingers and my bedroom

It's not what you think. This weekend, I have spent a lot of time in my bedroom. I am not sure if it is even my bedroom. It was my bedroom in 95 and 96. Then I went away to college. It was my bedroom summer of 97 and summer of 98, but not in the summer of 99 or 2000. It was again my bedroom in the summer of 2001 and most of the summer of 2002. Additionally it was my bedroom on various weekends and other occasions during that time. In summer of 2003 I moved to LA and I really haven't been back since.

Now I am living in it again. Thats weird enough by itself. Also, I have left many many boxes of "stuff" in that bedroom for the last few years. So I want to take this opportunity, living here for 8 weeks, to organize my crap and do something with it. Certainly a daunting task.

The tricky part is the distractions. You start looking through boxes and seeing things that you haven't seen in a long time. Stuff that you don't know why you kept, but are sure glad you did now that you see it. Some examples:

Empty Captain Morgan's bottle from 1997.
Plastic beads. New Orleans Mardi Gras 1999
Orange End Zone marker from Final High School football game 1992
Every Issue of Playboy from 96-2001
Dodgers World Series and NLCS Champions T-Shirts 1988
Size: Medium
Mad Magazines from the mid 80s
And a stack of newspapers that is literally 3 feet high.

So what is required is an alternative distraction. Something to keep your mind occupied. For that I chose what truly might be my favorite movie: Swingers.

Man I love that movie. Here is a movie that is very well-appreciated and is still under appreciated. Great because its a small personal movie that taps into real people and what makes them tick. A personal favorite because its a guy movie. Seriously, the opposite of chick flicks is this movie. Not Armegeddon or War of the Worlds (more on that later)

Not to mention, that the movie was made for about a quarter of a million bucks and sold for much much more than that. So it is additionally inspiring to a filmmaker type like myself.

So its Vegas Baby and boxes of Star Wars toys for me. And I'm supposed to be all impressed because she's wearing a back pack?

-T

No comments: