Monday, November 28, 2005

Star Wars Cleanup

Tonight, I began the task of looking through boxes of Star Wars toys. Oh boy. Do I have a lot of Star Wars Toys. This will be a week long process I believe, as I have about 8 boxes to go through. I don't particularly care to do it all at once.

I started with the older ones. No, I do not have any of my old old ones from when I was a kid. Many of them are long gone. Some are buried under some houses in Florida which used to be woods when I lived there.

These old ones are only semi-old. They came out in the late 90s. Ah College. The good old days when you had little to do but sleep and watch tv and occasionally study. And everything you needed was paid for. Which left money for fun nonsense.

So I opened this big box to reveal some smaller boxes. I had forgotten just how many of these I'd opened. Yes, to play with. And, I found several that I had done some "work" on.

Over a summer in 97 I decided that there were some figures that Hasbro had not yet made that I simply didn't care to wait for. Or some that needed some "tweaking" So a modeling knife some paint, a couple of head switches, and some creativity I made a few new guys.

My favorites: A young Obi-Wan Kenobi figure. This was 97 so we had little idea of what a young Obi-Wan looked like. I made a Young Anakin Skywalker figure, that I modeled after myself. Later I just renamed him Jedi Master TomCat. I made some of Luke's fellow pilots out of Pilot Luke figures.

When I took them back to College the next year, they became a conversation piece. When the people on my dorm floor were all coming around meeting each other. A couple of guys, Ben and Brian, liked my creative solution to collecting issues. And for good or for ill, they are still two of my best friends today.

So, one box down and several more to go. Can't wait to see whats next.

-T

No comments: