Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Bridge the Bridge

I did it today. I rode across the New Cooper River Bridge. You might look back to one of my very first ever blog entries. I wrote about the opening of this thing. Its absolutely amazing. I have followed this story for 10 years.

In 1995 it was, according to some, a pipe dream. Some others said it was of dire importance. While some other said that it doesn't affect them and they should not have to pay for it.

Governors campaigned on it. Mayors clashed over it. All before it was ever even approved.

Then it was debated further.

Who will build it? What will it look like? Where will it land? How big? How wide? and my personal favorite. Will we spend a little extra to provide for future additions of commuter trains to cross it?

In the end, they got it done. They all agreed, the money was found, the contract was made, the date was set, the heavy equipment rolled into town.

Finished in summer of 2005. 1 year ahead of schedule and under budget, it was comptleted.


And today, Stephanie, Sonny and I drove across the Authur Ravenel Jr. Bridge for the first time ever! Well worth the wait.

-T

No comments: