Friday, September 16, 2005

The Sopranos

We were supposed to watch the next disc of Sports Night tonight. Sadly, Netflix did not deliver. So we decided to watch a couple of episodes of the Sopranos. Man this show is awesome.

A few years back I saw an ad with a reviewers quote in it. The quote said the Sopranos was "The Greatest Work of Popular Culture in the Past 25 Years" Now this was around 2001 I think, so we are talking about 1976. Now, quite a few impressive pieces of pop culture have been presented since 1976. Lets stop a moment. Rocky, Forrest Gump, E.T. Jurrassic Park, Titanic and that movie with the blond kid and the Wookie and the Laserswords. What else? Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, Hootie and the Blowfish. Friends, Seinfeld, Cosby, Cheers, oh and of course Sports Night. What else? Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Danielle Steele?? Books Tom? Really? Ok we'll leave them out. Sportscenter, Jim Rome, Super Mario Brothers, TRL it goes on and on.

I just remember thinking how stupid it was to make such a bold statement. Clearly the statement made just to be big and obnoxious and not really mean it. The only thing is, and I know how it sounds but... It might be. I mean it really might. I don't know. Lets not be ridiculous, the Tony Soprano isn't as big as Michael Jackson or Bart Simpson. Certainly not in exposure. And I would argue that there are certainly some movies that are better overall. But truth be told, it is the best television show I have ever seen. That goes against, my Curt Warner/Barry Bonds theory of waiting until they are gone to annoint them, but I don't care. Its simply that good. And I guess thats really all I have to say about that.

-T

No comments: