Monday, August 29, 2005

This Lost Time Zone

Tonight, Stephanie and I had talked about going down to the Salt Lake City Stingers baseball game. ESPN's SportsCenter is going live from an event in all 50 states over a period of 50 days. We were thinking about going until I realized that it would be 4 o'clock when they have to begin. Because the 6pm SportsCenter is only at 6 in the East. Now I won't blame Utah for this totally in this case. ESPN is famous for being uninterested in anyone who lives outside of the Eastern Time Zone. So it is even worse in California.

However, it is a pain in other scheduling situations. Mostly with primetime TV. Things all start at the same time in the East and in the West. Things in the Central Time Zone run at the same time as in the East so 1 hour earlier in their time. ie. Tune in at 8, 7 central. Mountain time though is different. It seems that different networks go with different time formats. Some networks don't do anything different at all, like ESPN. And others try to play their shows at the same time in each place. And some just get it all weird. So even though I am two hours behind my friends in South Carolina, my shows only start one hour different than them.

None of this is a real big deal I guess. Just one more reason for me to feel like I don't belong here.

-T

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I here ya, Tom. Let's get out of here!