Thursday, August 11, 2005

I'd like a Ground Beef Sandwich please.

I went to the Hard Rock Cafe a couple of nights ago. It was my birthday, don't know if I have mentioned that on here before. Anyway, I wanted something other than a burger. I pretty much always get burgers, just because I love them so darn much. But i wanted something different. I came upon the Pulled-Pork Sandwich, and I decided to get it.

Now I am from the South, and in the South, we are quite familiar with this item. Its a little something that we call a barbeque sandwich. Now Steph and I have been talking for years about our different cultures. Specifically different names for things. Well, this Pulled-Pork substance is something we just refer to as "Barbeque" And until just recently, it would seem that the Yankee..uh..errrrr I mean the "Outside-the-South" term for this didn't exist. Because I never knew anyone ever ate these kinds of sandwiches. I guess I was wrong about that. Apparently, they have caught on around the country. But under the name "Pulled-Pork Sandwich" I hate this. Even though I really do understand it. Its just that where I'm from, "barbeque" is a thing. Its like Potato Salad or Cole Slaw or Bean Dip or Salsa. Its a stuff. Barbeque, it comes in cups and pints and quarts and probably liters too. And you put it on bread and it becomes a Barbeque Sandwich.

Its not fair :-( Everything else gets to keep its name when it becomes popular. Pizza, Calzones, Hamburgers, Gyros, Philly Cheese Steaks etc. So how come when the Barbeque Sandwich goes pop, it gets made into this sort of functional sounding name. Once again, I get it. I really do. It just annoys me. I want to start asking for Ground Beef Sandwiches instead of burgers. How about going to little Caesar's for carry-out Tossed Dough Circles. Oh well.

I'm actually glad that no one likes Grits. If they did, people will probably call them "Corn Speck Clumps" or something equally appetizing.

Grits, Barbeque and Sweet Tea. You people don't know what you are missing. Mmmmmm. Though I hate Okra.

-T

No comments: