Saturday, August 27, 2005

It's almost time

Just another quick not about College Football. For those of you out there that don't know College Football there probably is not much I can tell you to make you get it. The best thing about it, is that it is a collection of schools. There is something very special about your school. For those of us that are sports fans, we bond with our different teams for many reasons. But your college is different. Its hard to explain. For me, its like thats where I come from. The college experience is a big deal to me. Without putting too high and mighty a spin on the whole thing, but I feel like that is where you go from being a kid to being the adult that you are going to be. And you will forever be that. I am a Gamecock. Regardless of sports, I define myself that way. And because of this. My South Carolina Sports team mean more to me than any other.

The great thing about College Sports in general, is that you know that there are other people just like that from every college all around the country. I know that there are people from LSU or Oregon St. or FAMU or Wisconsin who feel the same way about as me. They are Tigers, Beavers, Rattlers and Badgers. Not sure how PETA feels about that. (more on that later) It is part of their identity, and it is something we all get. More so than in any of the professional sports.

Thursday it begins again. My Gamecocks will be playing on ESPN Thursday night. In the first appearance of Coach Spurrier. There is nothing like it. I hate that I can't be there, but I am in spirit. Once more into the breach dear friends. Or so they say. So in honor of College Football 2005, Let me be the first to say.... G! G-O! C'mon Cocks Lets Go!

-T

1 comment:

Mr. Shife said...

I graduated from the University of Idaho and I will love the Vandals forever, but man they are one of the worst football teams out there. They open against Wazzu Thursday and we are hoping for a miracle out here in Vandal Nation.
It will interesting to see how Spurrier turns around the Gamecocks. The only thing I ever remember about them is of course Lou Holtz recently but back in the day when they had a stud at RB, I think it was George Rogers? He went on to play at New Orleans.