Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Dilemna Dilemma

Yesterday I posted a blog that I titled Steroid Dilemma. I must admit that I originally posted it as Steroid Dilemna. When Stephanie told me I spelled it wrong, I calmly informed her that it was she, in fact, that was wrong. We looked it up of course and found absolutely no reference to the spelling Dilemna. I was dumbfounded. Is it possible that I am insane. I have spelled it this way my entire life and have never been corrected on it.

I looked up Dilemna on Yahoo. It did ask me if I meant Dilemma. But it also had some 150,000 pages of listings for Dilemna. After some research, Stephanie found some discussion groups about the different spellings. I looked up Dilemna Dilemma on Yahoo and found a few pages discussing the issue.

Apparently there is a large group of people out there that use the spelling Dilemna. The large Majority do not. However there seems to be no pattern for understanding its use. It does not seem to be an issue of Age or Geography which were the first two things I thought of.

I asked both of my parents, and they spell it differently than I do. So I am confused as to how i learned to spell it this way. The thing of it is, is that not only do I spell it this way and have seen it spelled this way. But I wasn't even aware of an alternate (in this case the correct) spelling of the word.

If there is anyone out there, that might read this blog and spells the word Dilemna, please let me know. Thanks.
-T

1 comment:

Mervyn said...

The same thing just happened to me. I’ve spelled it "dilemna" my entire life, who knows why. My word spell checker is changing it on me but I’m still not convinced!