Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Dodgers...Give up? or not?

Everytime I start to consider giving up on this season, the Dodgers get back into the race. Tonight, they are only 4 games out, but they are 9 games below .500. They aren't very good. So I had been thinking recently about whether or not to just pack it in this season and look toward next year.

It occured to me that I'm not really sure what difference it would make to anyone if I give up or not. Don't get me wrong. I do believe that my intense love and "rooting" for my team, even when done from home, DOES affect their performance. But I am alerted to the fact that there is a weird level of tension that exists inside me. So much so, that I have to decide to let it go when I feel the team is done. Can't I just watch them and see what happens? Do I need to be so emotionally involved that I have to actively manage my passions this closely? Apparently so.

Obviously this is a little bit of a problem. I mean, very clearly it is. I admit it. Its something I'm working on. At the same time, its also something that is special about sports, and Baseball in general. It is a special thing to have something as "trivial" as a baseball team be THIS important in your life. Friends, Family, pets, goals, hopes, dreams. These are hopefully some of the things that people care deeply about. But I feel sad for people who don't have something fun in their lives that means this much.

There are a lot of ways I can describe myself. Man, Christian, Human, Earthling, American, Southerner, Gamecock, and Dodger Fan. I am a Dodger fan. Thick and Thin and all that. And I'm proud of that. Now it is up to me to not let it engulf everything else it my world.

Oh well, thats its for tonight. Going to see Red Eye this weekend. Rachel McAdams has been removed from the Who wants to play Princess Leia when I remake the original Star Wars Trilogy. A great choice I think, but she's simply too old at this point. Frontrunner Hayden Panettiere is looking like a lock at this point. Saw her in Ice Princess and shes great. Ah dreams.
"I don't know where you get your delusions laserbrain"

-T

No comments: