Sunday, August 28, 2005

Kevin Smith, Robert Rodriguez, Steph and Me

Steph and I have been talking a lot about filmmakers like Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez lately. I came to a conclusion that I found particularly heartening. (if that is a word) There is a huge difference between the Filmmaker and the Fan of the Filmmaker. And when I say fan, I am including would be filmmakers that follow these filmmakers. While in school, I found that I was pretty different from most of the other students. Stephanie too. We both didn't fit with a lot of them. The reason being, that we are normal. I never really felt bad about that. I was confident enough in both myself and Steph. But you know, you had to wonder a little bit.

Stephanie read a book by Robert Rodriguez, and we watched the 4 hours of an evening with Kevin Smith. I realized though, that these guys are normal too. They are regular dudes. They like big fun movies. They like regular stuff. They aren't pretentious. They aren't weirdos. They aren't trying to look cool. They aren't afraid of making money. They aren't afraid of making Hollywood movies. Just like me and Steph. They make art, but they don't set out to make art. They just want to tell stories. That's what its all about.

-T

2 comments:

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

I want American film makers to give the talented actors and actresses in our Nollywood a chance.

Can you extend invitations to our Nigerian talents?

Anthony White said...

Too few people realize that it is the narrative that captures people's imagination more so than a constant stream of never-ending special effects. That's not to say that I don't like FX. I love a big Hollywood FX movies. But the best movies are the ones that the special effects compliment the narrative and not overshadow it. I am a very big fan of Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez, becuase they have not lost their passion for what they do, despite having to work within the confines of Hollywood politics. Blanco was here!