Wednesday, August 10, 2005

So you actually like your car?

I'm really wondering about this? Let me see if I have it straight. Gas is in the $2.30 per gallon range. Lower priced cars are now around 20,000 and up. Insurance is up. Car Taxes are up. You have to pay to park in many places. Even when its free, you have to find a place to park it. Marshall McLuhan said that the Car gives you freedom right up to when you take it somewhere. Traffic is bad and deadly. 48,000 people are killed every year in America in automobile accidents.

I find it funny that when people fly on airplanes, a loved one might ask them to call when they land so they might know the person arrived safely. Flying is the easy part, its the drive to the airport that is more likely to kill you. Call me when you get to the grocery store or the mall is more like it.

Furthermore, you actually have to drive. And people will say, "oh, I like to drive." No you don't. People say they like the taste of beer too, but they don't. I enjoy driving from time to time too. I like road trips. I like relaxing and watching the scenery go by. But thats not what we do is? 90% of all of our driving time is out of obligation.

I like this one, "I like the quiet time." or "It gives me a chance to relax before work" Is this true? If it is, you need help. You need to arrange your life differently. If sitting in a tiny metal box on wheels is relaxing, something is wrong in your life.

The point is, that cars should be an extra, a luxury. They should be like having a boat. Something you don't need, but want. Something you use for recreation. Otherwise, its absurd. If you are talking neccesity, then its the worst possible mode of transportation.

People's "love" for automobiles is a lie used to justify their dependence. It doesn't have to be that way. We don't have to waste 2 hours a day sitting in that ridiculous box. I won't do it anymore.

Public transportation is the future. Get on board
-T

No comments: