Thursday, August 25, 2005

Attaboy

A job well done, was the verdict at our job inspection today. For those that don't know I have been working for just over a year with my dad. We are installing a security system at an Air Force Base in Utah. I have never done anything like this, and probably won't again.

The job was originally supposed to take 6 months. It is winding up now at 15 months. The problems were things beyond our control. Constant changes in the job kept us starting over again and again. When it came down to being inspected and checked out over the last couple of days, I had little idea of what to expect. But my dad was a little worried.

Today the people that came to check us out told my dad, and me too, that we did a very good job. That he handled all of the adversity well and they apologized to him for having to put up with it. It was a good feeling.

This is not even close to anything I want to do. But the cool thing was, that it did feel pretty good. It was nice to be a part of a big project and see it through to finish. My dad designed this job several years ago and now it is in place. Thats kind of cool. For a math and science guy like my dad, I can see a how that can feel rewarding.

I'm very glad that I did this job. It came along at a time when I was struggling in LA and allowed me to save money, pay off some bills, and get myself in a better position. I helped my dad when he needed some extra help too. It was a great chance to spend some time with him. Though I hated to see how stressed out he was over the last few months. I'll be glad when I don't work with him anymore just so we can talk about fun stuff like Dodger Baseball, without having to talk about work. I am also glad that I got to spend some time doing some kind of technical work. Its just one more experience I can add my list of things I've done. It makes me smarter overall.

So all and all, I'd say it was a success.
Thanks Dad.
-T

No comments: