Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Steroid dilemma

I find that Steroids dominated the talk radio scene for a second straight day. To be honest. I can't get enough of it. Normally I get really sick of stories that won't go away. But I care about this one a lot. I feel compelled to write this blog about it, but I don't want to want to. So I'm writing about writing about it.

It gets me fired up. I won't lie. I called in to the National Radio show today. XM's The Show with Rob Dibble and Kevin Kennedy, because I was so fired up. I'm angry because people don't have the guts to say what they think. Somewhere along the line we all wanted to be "fair" and give people the benefit of the doubt. Which sounds good on the surface. But in the end, I think people are so obsessed with it, that they have forgotten to use common sense. These guys are lying their butts off. Its disrespectful and to be honest, its a well uh, I hate to say it but quite frankly its a disgrace. There I said it. But all day I heard guys on ESPN with Hall of Fame votes saying they would still vote for Palmeiro for various reasons. Reasons ranging from "its too hard to distinguish them from the other cheaters" to "Their numbers are just too great, reguardless of what they did"

Let me call some attention to a couple of items from the Baseball Hall of Fame's guidelines to voting on the Hall of Fame.


5. Voting — Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.
6. Automatic Elections — No automatic elections based on performances such as a batting average of .400 or more for one (1) year, pitching a perfect game or similar outstanding achievement shall be permitted.


Terms like integrity, sportsmanship and character seem to stand out to me. Also it would seem to indicate that "numbers" do not equal automatic entry.

Baseball writers have a responsibility to protect the Hall of Fame from Liars, Cheaters, and other such undesirables. And I hope they realize that. If I have to see Mark McGwire's fat (but getting smaller) head up on stage accepting that honor, I'll be sick. I think all of the other Hall of Famers should boycott and not go to their inductions. But they won't do that, because THEY have class.

The Hall of Fame is not a right. Its a privilege. Its not something that you earn with magic numbers. 3000 hits 500 hrs 3000 k's 300 wins. It is something that is bestowed upon you if you are worthy of the honor.

-T

1 comment:

web_loafer said...

I think it is time to test all active players for steriods, and anyone testing positive should be barred from the hall of fame forever, and penalized now in some fashion. If not, it is will become THE HALL OF SHAME in my mind. Imagine, People cheating the likes of Ted Williams. Ted never pumped up, but a present day drug addict can appear to be as great as he was. Not so, ban the bums. There I've said it.