Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Up All Night/White Sox Champs

The big questions of today were "Did anyone stay up late last night to watch the end of the World Series Game 3. It ended somewhere after 2 am on the East Coast. I did. But, then again, I live in Utah. It was exciting. Damned exciting, and I watched it. Yes it was a weeknight and yes it was late. And I don't blame people for going to bed. But I dislike the implication that this proves that TV rules sports and the games are on too late. It was a 14 inning game. It was the longest baseball game in World Series history. The point is, the game was a bit of a freak show, so its not a good example to use if you want to say that games are starting late. I'll add that it was pretty much only ESPN that was implying this. 2 things about that. 1. Of couse it was only ESPN implying it, because isn't it only ESPN.....uh....that exists?
2. ESPN rules the world in sports reporting, sports discussion, sports over saturation, but do not rule the world in broadcasting the actual games. Of course that might seem like the least important part of stats. But I promise you, I've never heard ESPN complaining about games starting to late on their own network.


The White Sox are champions. They broke their curse....or did they? People are already talking about how this was the lowest rated World Series in history. I'm sorry ChiSox, you are the ultimate cursed team. Not the Red Sox, not the Cubs..Just you guys.

You cheated the game. You offended the Baseball Gods. You threw the world Series. Your punishment is to go 88 years before you win another, to have nobody notice that you haven't won in a long time. To have nobody care that you haven't won in a long time. To have no network try to sell the broadcast on you your curse/slump and then when you do finally win to have nobody notice or care. And there you have it.
I hope now your punishment is over. I hope now that you can go out and do well. And potentially win a World Series that people will care about. And I hope now that people will remember WHY you were cursed and what happens to teams that do offend the gods of baseball.

-T

No comments: