Monday, October 10, 2005

Theeeeee Yankees Lose

Now while I freely admit that I do hate the Yankees, I do consider myself a Yankee Hater. Not in the same sense that the rest of the world seems to hate them.
The Yankees, along with Clemson, were my first sports nemesis. I was born in 1975. The Dodger lost to the Yankees in the World Series in 77 and 78 and beat the Yankees in the World Series in 1981. So in my earliest formative years, the Yankees were very much on the Dodgers' radar screen. So I learned early on that the Yankees and Dodgers were long-time rivals. It was only years later that I learned the True Nature of the Dark Side: The San Francisco Giants. Yet through all of this time, I have certainly never learned to love the Yanks.

Stephanie is a Boston Red Sox fan. An actual fan at that. She also hates the Yankees of course. And always has. Both of us were quite pleased tonight to see the Yanks go down.

But one of my good friends was happy too. This guy, whos favorite baseball team is Penn St. Football. Who likes Hockey. Who didn't know anything about baseball until I got him hooked on Fantasy Sports. So my problem is this.

Its just no fun to hate the Yankees. It hasn't been for quite some time. Its like hating the Lakers, or the Miami Hurricanes or Duke/North Carolina basketball. everyone hates them, and it make legitmate haters look petty.

And I'm sure that Red Sox fans might think I'm not a legitimate hater either. But I feel I have a just reason for hating.

Now, on related note. If you are bored and you like baseball and you want a laugh, go to The Yankees Message Board. They are ripping their team apart there. Especially Alex Rodriguez. A-Fraud, Mr. May-Rod, Pay-Rod and my personal favorite nickname Alice Rodriguez.

Its going to be fun to watch them for the next month or so.

-T

No comments: