Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I don't know how to shop for food!

When I went away to college in 1997 I discovered the magic of the meal plan. 16 meals a week plus 150 bucks worth of free money to spend at school restaurants...a.k.a. Bonus Bucks. I thought I had landed in food heaven. There was a Pizza Hut and then they added a Taco Bell and a Chik-Fil-A. There was a burger place and a sub place.It was awesome. In addition to all of that fattening junk food bliss, there was also real food. Actual cooked meats, vegetables with side dishes and appropriately portioned desserts. There was healthy food to be found, and made easy. For me, eating healthy was as simple as getting in the right line. That was a big help. I won't pretend that I didn't eat a ton of Taco Bell food and personal Pizzas. I certainly did, but I also ate some good regular meals.

Then reality set in. I graduated. I moved to Los Angeles where I had little to no money at all. When Ralph's had frozen dinners on sale for a dollar a piece. I bought about 30 of them. I also started working at The Greatest Fast Food Place on Earth and a delicious part of my compensation package was one free Double Double and Fries every day. Every day for about 7 months. From here on my diet has been a constant struggle.

But heres the point to the whole thing. It's not like I got spoiled in college on having my meals just magically appear, and then forgot what I used to know. I NEVER knew how to do this. I lived with my parents before this and the food just magically appeared there too. Never out of Hot Pockets or the ever delicious and easy to eat right out of the carton Lloyds Barbeque Mmmm. Healthy.

I have no idea what I am doing. I have no idea how to eat right. I have no idea how to shop effectively. No one ever taught me. No one ever showed me. Whats worse, when worse came to worse and I had to teach myself......I took the easy way and refused to learn. By eating out or eating cheapies from the grocery store. Ramen noodles and 3 for a dollar frozen burritos for example. Taking the easy way out is an important issue for another blog. Being able to focus and pay attention when my wife is showing me how to shop healthy and effectively is another.

Once again I find myself in a place where I want to reclaim some power for myself. Now is the time.

-T

No comments: