Sunday, November 18, 2007

Best Show on Television?

Since 1999, this was an easy question to answer. The Sopranos. But now that we live in a Post Cut-to-Black world, what show will come in to fill the void? I have sampled quite a few in the past year looking for the one.

What I discovered is that TV looks a lot like the Sopranos. In 1999, shows were still very episodic. ER was the number one show on TV, and while it certainly had a lot of ongoing plot lines, it still worked very well from week to week. You could miss a week or two or four and still enjoy an episode.

In 2007, the shows people are talking about aren't episodic at all. Heroes, Prison Break, Lost, are all huge. Here are shows that if you miss an episode, you might as well quit for the year and start over on DVD. The Sopranos effect is very clear.

Add to that the advent of the DVR, which allowed people an even better chance to not miss their shows.

The problem is these shows just aren't as good as the Sopranos. Well, I guess thats not fair. But they just don't quite do it for me.

I don't know. I have pared down my TV watching to basically no shows. With the Writers Strike having already put and end to the Office for the foreseeable future, it leaves only one show.

How I Met Your Mother.

This show is the best show on Television. Seriously. I'll say this. Its the funniest comedy I have ever seen. Not saying the Best show that could be called a Comedy, but it is the FUNNIEST.
The best part is the continuity. Little details in one episode that come back in big ways in later episodes. It makes for great re-watching of old episodes on DVD.

So as I see it, and for as long as we still have new episodes still being aired. A little show Steph and I just call HIMYM will be the official Tom's favorite show.

-T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny because they try to date it too, so they can make text messaging jokes and stuff that other shows can't. Whatever, it's hilarious!

JD said...

I agree! HIMYM is awesome. If there was ever any doubt, tonight's episode put it to bed. How awesome was Slapsgiving? I have a full recap on my blog if you're interested.