Saturday, February 18, 2006

Whataday!

Ok, where to begin. Ok, at the beginning. Got up this morning, had a complementary apple danish and some orange juice. Steph and Sonny and I got in the car to go into town.

We figured we'd do some driving and picture taking with the pup first. So we went to the Astrodome. This didn't start out as well as I'd hoped. I thought we'd be able to go to the parking lot and stop and get out and look at it and take a picture and what not. We couldn't though, because they are having a Rodeo there this weekend. That was kind of a bummer.

We drove out and had to turn right, so I had to move over to another street to go back into town. This was a lucky break, because there was a petsmart right there on that street. I hadn't really planned to go, but there it was. We bought a crate for Sonny. This made us feel better about leaving Sonny later that night. Plus we will need one for later this year. This was a good one, because it is collapsable. Plus we finally got his nails clipped. On top of that, the Petsmart parking lot is a very good place to take pictures of the Astrodome.




We went into town to look around. We saw the new Houston light rail. That thing is cool! We went by the convention center, through downtown and then over to Minute Maid Park. Then we went back to the hotel for lunch and to drop off the Dog.

We had Whataburger! And I had the new chicken strip sandwich. It was awesome. I have been wanting to eat this for three weeks, and it was all that.

Back to Houston and to the Park. This was great. An hour tour of Minute Maid Ballpark. First off, I learned that its original name was..no not Enron Field. It was The Ballpark at Union Station. Thats cool. I dig that. I'm going to try to refer to it as that now. We got to go out on the field. At least on the dirt part. We got to sit in the dugout! Very very cool. All in all, a very cool experience.




Then to All-Star Jam Session. I am not much of an NBA fan. Not at all really, but I do know a fair amount about it. I do like basketball in general and as a sports fan, I respect it a lot. And, turns out, it was pretty darned cool. It was cool to see all the people trying to show their skills at various basketball skill competitions. I liked the lowered rim slam dunk competitions. I'm a wimp, I didn't try anything. I have minimal skills. I shoot pretty well. I don't dribble. Most of all, I don't want to wait in line for 30 minutes just to go 2 for 3 from the line.

I also bought a box of 1989 Topps Baseball cards for 7 bucks. That was an unexpected little bonus. Steph and I opened them up in the Hotel tonight after we got back. I got a Sheffield, but no Gregg Jeffries. Whatdayagonna do?

So we had a great day. A long and fun day. It was awesome. Exhausting, but well worth it. I'm really glad we did this.

-T

No comments: