Friday, February 24, 2006

Brokeback

This afternoon, Steph and I finally saw Brokeback Mountain. I'm a little mixed. I am dealing with expectation issues. Not so much expecting that it was going to be the greatest thing ever, but just of what the movie was going to be like.

Its hard to say. I think the movie was flawless. Truly flawless. It was incredibly shot and put together. It was brilliantly acted. It was fantastic writing. I just didn't connect with it quite the way I expected to. Its on me, I know. Because I can think of nothing that they should have done differently.

So heres what,s good though. Heath Ledger is a stud. A straight up stud. He was fantastic. He went from being an incredibly strong figure to a desperate broken down loser. He played it all with dignity and strength. I was really impressed by him.

Also, Michelle F. Williams. Woo Hoo baby. I said it way back when. She was THE best thing on Dawson's Creek, even when everyone was all over Katie "facial ticks are acting" Holmes. Oh, that's mean. I actually like Katie Holmes a lot now. I loved Michelle Williams on that show though. I thought she was easily the best actor there and hoped she would get a decent shot. She got one, and she knocked it out of the park.

This movie was heartbreaking. Its terrifying to see 20 years of a person's life go right by and watch them completely bottom out. I think I had some ideas about this movie being a bit more uplifting than it was. I think I thought it was going to be the kind of unconventional yet inspiring romance type. It was not. It was a tragedy and a very sad one at that. It ends at the bottom, at the beginning of the climb back up. So there is some goodness in its final scene. Enough to know that he is ready to reclaim his life. So it leaves you with a good feeling. But it was very sad and very very good.

-T

No comments: