Wednesday, February 15, 2006

On the Road

Monday I started reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. A legendary book from the 50s. I didn't know much about it. I know it is legendary in the Beat or Beatnik world. The sort of pre-vietnam 60s rebels. I knew its about taking a road trip and seeing America, of which I am a big fan.

I'm just underway in the book, but I am hooked. I'm also very interested in reading more about the Beat Generation.

Steph and I have developed some very real philosophies and theories, and I am always looking for people who feel the same way. It seems that these guys might be close.

I was impressed early on by the narrator's description of his friend Dean. How he loved Dean because he was excited about life. I thought, here is something I can get behind. They are rebels because they want to live their lives, not because they are protesting war or any other great "cause." I believe in living life, not just getting by and surviving. That is a quest worth pursuing.

-T

No comments: