Saturday, February 25, 2006

Dear George Clooney

This afternoon I saw your film Goodnight and Goodluck. I would like to thank you for what is truly a fantastic piece of filmmaking.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I loathe politics in the media. I find the onslaught of media coverage of National politics to be disgraceful and, more significantly, a complete fraud. National news discussion is to this decade what Seinfeld was to the 90's. It is simply a new type of entertainment masquerading as social consciousness.

In all honesty, I thought this movie was going to serve only as encouragement to this type of "Journalism." I knew the story was a good one and certainly worth telling. I thought that it was being made now in responce to perceived wrongdoings by our current administration.

I cannot tell you how happy I am to be wrong. Not only did this film NOT do what I was afraid of, but it DID do something important that I believe was desperately needed. It provided a right and responsible example of how media editorials SHOULD be handled. It asks that those in charge give serious and responsible thought to the issue, how they feel about it, and whether or not to challenge it. It then asks that they present a fair and responsible argument. Moreso, it asks that the media treat the public with respect and as though they are intelligent enough to make up their own minds.

What I feared would be an awful show of support for the poor way in which the national news media is handling coverage of our government, turned out to be a perfectly timed admonishment of the national media in general. I would genuinely like to thank you for a profound piece of filmmaking. You are, in fact, my favorite movie maker.

-Tom Andrews
Independant Filmmaker


P.S. It was fantastic Technically too.

No comments: