Friday, February 10, 2006

A little health today....just a little

I drank 8 glasses of water today and hit the speedbag at the gym. Woohoo. Sounds like a lot right? I know, its not much. Its a start though.

I set out to drink more water. I find that I want a of soda to drink. I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper. And, as it turns out, Texas is the worst place to be if you are addicted to Dr. Pepper. There is nowhere here that doesn't have Dr. Pepper readily available. But there is one thing I noticed. If I drink a lot of water, I'm not really that thirsty. I know...weird huh? Who would have thought that water cures thirst. And when I am not thirsty, I don't really want soda. This is another example of my resolution to work with my problems. Rather than insisting on just trying to straight up overcome my soda addiction, I'll just find a way to outsmart myself. Turns out the sneaky way is actually healthy in this case. Weird.

The second thing I did was hit the speedbag. I have always wanted to do this. Having watched Rocky movies all my life, I always thought it would be cool to be able to be good at hitting that bag. Its all about rhythm of course. You hit the bag and it bounces against the back of the board, then it comes forward. It comes back to fast to hit it again. So what you have to do is hit it hard enough to make it bounce three times. Back, then front, the back again. Then when it comes back to center, you hit it again. If I am doing it wrong, someone please tell me. I have only been doing it for two days total and I can already make it do that budda puh budda puh budda puh sound. Which is really very cool. I can switch back and forth left right left right or do one hand several times in a row. The only thing I haven't mastered is that very cool smack thing that they do in movies where right before they are done hitting it, they really haul off and hit the crap out of it. I'm getting there.

By the way, does anyone know why people say "haul off" and hit something? what the heck does that mean.

Anyway. The thing I hate most about exercise is how incredibly boring it is. I'm hoping to find some kind of fun ways to do some exercise, and this is fun for sure.

-T

No comments: