Saturday, December 31, 2005

So Long 2005

I began this year in Salt Lake City Utah. I end it in Charleston South Carolina. I began this year with goals and plans. I end it with accomplishments and satisfaction.

Some important things happened to me this year.

1st. Stephanie.
Stephanie has been happening to me for several years now. However, at the beginning of this year I still did not know what would or could happen to us. I knew that I loved her. She had been my best friend for several years. But I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to be in a real relationship at all. Steph and I didn't bond that way. We came together with the idea that serious relationships only keep people from pursuing their dreams. It was a bad way to start a relationship.

But I came to a realization this year. The real reason that Steph and I came together is that we both believe that following our dreams is the most important thing. Additionally, our dreams are practically the same thing. I also realized that I have been in a relationship for a while now, and I DO like it. I still believe that they are bad for people early in life, but Steph and I are doing it the right way. We are making our own model for success together, and I love it. We are trailblazers.

2nd. Star Wars
2005 was the last and greatest single year for Star Wars ever. I came into last year salivating for Revenge of the Sith. There has never been another movie with this specific kind of presure on it. Since 1980, when we found out who Darth Vader really was, we knew this movie existed. It existed in concept if not actually on film. For 25 years I have been waiting to see how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. If this doesn't seem important well then I don't know what to tell you. But I hoped and prayed it would be what I wanted. New toys were going to come out. New Fast Food promotions. Trailers and Commercials. And of course Tickets going on sale. And "THE LINE" How would it be this year? Which theater would I go to? How early will I have to be there? Will I be able to convince Stephanie to go? How much money will it make? How many times will I see it? Will I like it?

Guess what? It was EVERYTHING and more. The toys were great. I got almost every single one. Which I never have done in a given movie year. I got tickets a month early. I got in line on Wednesday afternoon at 3:55, and Stephanie Joined me around 6. We waited until they let us in at 10. We got good seats. The movie started, I was so nervous I wanted to throw up. I'm nuts, I know. It was fantastic. I was floored. It has been 7 months now since I saw it, and I can confidently say it is the best movie of the 6. It made 50 million dollars in a single day. 16 million at midnight shows alone. There were 3am and 6am shows in some cities. It made 380 million dollars. Stephanie went with me and she loved it too. I saw it 10 times, including once in digital at the humongous Cinerama Dome at the Arclight in Hollywood and once at a drive in. It was as satisfying a conclusion to a series of films and to a part of my life as there possibly could have been.

3. Getting my life together. This is something that I knew would probably be a two part deal. And after year one, I am where I want to be. Coming into this year, I was still a little scared. I still was unsure of what I can do. I was still unsure of what I wanted to be. Did I have the guts to go through with my plans. I talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. I tell people that I won't live a humdrum robot life that I feel most people do. Yet I am still not sure if I can fight my fears and go after it. I am still sloppy, I am still unorganized, I am still out of shape.

Today, I am more organized. I am not there yet. I am less sloppy, but improving. I am in lousy shape still, but plans are in place. I have paid off all of my debts, excluding student loans. I am out of Utah, which I felt was a bad place for us. I am working a job that has the potential to send us off on our movie making dreams. I am more confident in my abilities, I am more focused, I am more determined. The best thing is that I am paying attention. I am in gear now. With still a way to go, I am well on the road, and it feels really good.

2005 was a good year. It was a hard year, it was not always a fun year. 5 or 10 years down the road however, I think we will see that 2005 was the year it all turned around for me. I feel like this was the year I really began my new life.

When 2000 came around, I really got thinking about myself. That year I began to pull myself up. I set a goal to change my life around. To rededicate myself to being the best I can be. It took some time to get going. I was in a pretty deep hole. But 5 years later I feel like the turnaround is complete. I am truly on the right path. Right emotionally, right spritually, right professionally. I have a long way to go. But I finish this year, more confident than I have ever been in my life.

So Long 2005. Thanks for everything......Bring on 2006!

No comments: