Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The great Star Wars Finale

A couple of nights ago I won an Ebay auction. I paid for it tonight. I got two of the last 5 Revenge of the Sith figures. This is a big deal. Mainly because it might be hard to get them all.

In Star Wars figure collecting, there is one thing that seems to hold true. Its very hard to find the end of the line figures. This means that when they switch from one line to begin a new one, the last figures of the ending line tend to disappear. Mostly, its just that they have the least amount of time from when the first make them and when they quit production.

The Episode 1 line finishes with an Emperor Hologram, Sio Bibble and a Protocol Droid that I never saw. The Episode 2/Saga line ended last year. I got all but the last three, which I never saw. The Power of the Force line ended in 1999 with some cool figures with talking chips that no one ever saw.

So as Revenge of the Sith comes to a close, I'm looking for the end. I have never managed to collect a whole line before. And I am right on it this time.

It started in February with 4 preview figures. I got those. Then, in April, it started for real. There were 32 figures the first night. I bought about 6. I got all of them pretty quickly. I also got a limited Yoda hologram.

Now there were a few other limited edition exclusives. Target had several "Lava Reflection" figures. I never saw them. I'm not huge on chasing exclusives, so I don't sweat them.

I also don't chase variants very much. Not into errors or changes that they do. One Anakin figure had black eyes. Later, they changed it to have the orange "Sith Eyes." I'm not too worried about that though. However, there are some I did get. The Emperial Guard came in both Blue and Red varieties. Later, they had some varying colors on some of the Troopers. I got those. Those were intentional.

So, there were 56 figures that came out by August. Plus different colors on the Imperial Guard, Clone Pilot, Clone Commander and Clone Trooper. That makes 60. Plus there was the 4 previews. That makes 64. Then they announced that there would be 12 more to end the line. They supposedly came out in October. And I found 7 of them that month. The final 5 though, I have yet to see.

Then they announced the new line of toys. The Saga 2 line. New look, new figures, new card design, starting in 2006. And to kick it off, would be 2 figures that bridge the gap between ROTS and Saga 2. Those were Obi-Wan with Baby Luke and Bail Organa with Baby Leia. I decided those would be the last for me. And I have found them.

This means that the line is over. And, as expected, the 5 last figures have vanished from stores.

Ok, all that said, I got two of the toughies on ebay. I had to pay a couple of bucks more than normal, but is worth it. I'm going to get it. With the 2 baby figures, and my Holographic Yoda that will make 79 in total. And then I am done. For a while.

I don't think I'll be collecting this next group just yet. I'm going to take a year off. Then I'll go back and get em later.

-T

No comments: