Saturday, December 24, 2005

Its Christmas Eve

One thing I have noticed. If you havent finished your shopping by about the 10th of December, just wait until Christmas Eve. I went to about 6 different stores this morning in no time at all. Very easy. Clearly the best time to go and it is an age old tradition in my family. As we tend to be procrastinators.

Tonight I had my mom's family over for Christmas. We have been doing it this way for a long time. I'm not sure when it started. It wasn't this way when I was a kid. I did Christmas at both Grandparents' houses on Christmas Day. It was nice today.

First. There was Aunt Joyce and the Macaroni Pie!! Oh my is it good. It was conspicuously missing from Thanksgiving this year, but not from Christmas.

Second, there is Aris Nicole. She is the life of the party and the center of attention. As most toddlers are, I'm sure. My cousin asked me if Aris was walking yet. Ha ha. You'll see I said. Though not quite in that jerky way.

Lastly, its a good chance to have a large group of family in one place and a lot of talking that isn't forced. And no TV. I like to see a circle of people all facing inward and talking, rather than focused on the TV. People use the TV as a crutch, to fill in the blank spots in the conversation. Its nice to see a time when that just isn't necessary.

Only one bummer tonight. No Stephanie. I hadn't given much thought to Stephanie's leaving for Boston. Of course I'd miss her, but I was glad for her to get to be with her parents. However, I really didn't expect it to feel like she was missing the way it did. I mean I wasn't overwhelmed with sadness, but I noticed she wasn't there with me and I wanted her to be. I don't want to do Christmas without her anymore.

Its proof that Christmas is what they says it is. A special time to be with those that you love most. I would think that it might be easy to not miss Steph too much, just because I am doing the exact same traditions as I always did. She was never there before, so you might think I wouldn't notice that she wasn't there now. But I did. She easily qualifies as a member of "those I love most" and I wanted her to be here. Next year will be different.

I think I hear Santa....so happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

-T

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Miss you too! Christmas in Hawaii next year??? You're invited!

P.S. We did too have macaroni pie on Thanksgiving.