Sunday, December 04, 2005

Rent

I saw Rent today. And it was pretty darned good. Not the best thing Ive seen this year, but pretty doggone good.

One thing of note is the very negative way it portrays New York City. Now it doesn't go out of its way to say NYC is bad. But it offers no views of anything good about the place. This is pretty out of the ordinary for pop culture in recent years. Since 9/11, New York has been the darling city of the world.

Rent was a runaway hit on Broadway in the mid 90s. When New York was really just beginning its comeback. And I imagine the seeds of Rent were starting in the late 80s, when New York was still very much viewed as nasty, trashy place.

So, in some ways this movie seems a little outdated to me. But not so much. I mean even the Glorious New York of today has its share of ultra poor areas. Yet it is interesting anyway.

Really a good show though. I'm really interested in seeing this performed live somewhere some way. Hopefully I will get to.

-T

No comments: