Friday, December 30, 2005

Why can't I have what I want?

Stephanie used to say this a lot to me. And she made sense. It sounds like a selfish thing to ask. But why? If I do not ask for unreasonable things, and I do not ask for anything that has not been promised me, then why can't I get what I want?

The answer: Welcome to the Real World.

What?!?

The real world? Thats what they tell me. Thats the real world. You can't have what you want. You can't do what you want. You have to grow up, be realistic, the world doesn't work that way etc.

What?!? I say again.

What do I want? Ok, I want to be treated with respect. I want people to honor their commitments. I want people to behave as though they care about what they are doing.

So maybe if I said "I want someone to knock on my door and offer me my dream job" then I can understand that it doesn't work that way. But I don't want that. I'll get my own job. I'll make my own dreams come true. But don't get in my way just because you have given up on your life.

I want you to not forget my sauce with my mcnuggets. I want you to use your damned turn signals. I want you to not be mad at me for going the speed limit just because you left the house too late. I want you to not expect me to do something that you never asked me to do. And I want to not be called selfish if I say I have other plans. I want you to not be out of the "guarenteed in stock" items. I want you to deliver on time your "guarenteed to be there by.." items. And if I ask you to do something, don't reluctantly agree and then pout and expect me to let you out of it. Just say no. And when I just say no, don't get mad at me for it.

I am sick and tired of the lack of honesty that is everywhere. Everyone is playing this strange game of "tell people what they want to hear, until you can figure a way to get out of it."

I just want to do what I want to do. I'll take care of my part, just don't get in my way by not taking care of yours.

-T

No comments: