Monday, December 05, 2005

A small apology

I would like to make a small apology to the city of North Charleston. For weeks I have been expressing my disdain for this city and its apparent apathy toward planning and smart growth. While I still have reservations, I have discovered something that clearly indicates to me that someone is at the wheel.

So...I apologize.


Last night, I discovered something called The Noisette Project It is a waterfront development, designed to refurbish and revitalize the old Navy Base and adjacent areas. Really, this is a great project and is a clear step in the right direction. Mixed-Use...meaning business, retail, entertainment AND residential. Woo Hoo... Mixed use and density are what IT is all about.

That said. I still have problems with the overriding culture of this area. I read LA papers online and LA messageboards as well. And they all joke about the "LA CAR CULTURE" Everyone does. But I promise you, the car culture in this town is 10 times greater than that of LA. Easily. And that still is a problem.

Now I hate to give an "I'm sorry but..." kind of apology. I really mean it. I thought no one was running this town, but clearly that is wrong. I am going to go down there and see this first hand this weekend.

-T

No comments: