Thursday, December 15, 2005

King Kong Sucks

Steph and I had a little chat about King Kong tonight. I checked the box office report for yesterday. 9.6 million. Thats not bad I guess. In fact, only 20 movies ever have made more money on an opening day that was a Wednesday.

20th place. Oh its sooo funny. Pokemon the movie made more on its opening day than King Kong. What can I say? I'm rooting for it to fail. I'm a jerk. Fine. But Peter Jackson is so overrated. Lord of the Rings was such nonsense. So it gives me great pleasure to watch his super movie struggle.

Its not just PJ either. For about a month now I have heard people talking about this movie. How it was certainly going to pass Revenge of the Sith for this year's title, as well as potentially threaten Titanic for the ultimate prize. Just let me say this. Never ever say Titanic. Yes, someday something will probably pass it. It will be a freak of nature though. One that you won't see coming. Secondly, it apears to be no threat to Revenge of the Sith either. Lets compare. King Kong 9.6 million on opening day. Opening day for Revenge of the Sith was 50 million. In fact, Sith made almost twice as much as Kong in Midnight sales alone.

Additionally, its a Monkey!! You know? A Monkey. I'm the first to say that you can make anything happen in movies and it should be believable, but lets be honest. Its a technical masterpiece? I believe it. Its a touching story about love in the strangest of places? I'll believe it when I see it. And I will see it.

In the end, I really do hope that every movie I see is the best one ever. Honestly though, I take a little sick pleasure in watching it not do well. Lets hope it doesn't do any better over the weekend.

-T

No comments: