Sunday, July 31, 2005

Sunday Cleaning and Manny F. Ramirez

As I recover from my ridiculous Star Wars Saturday, I spent most of today hanging out around the house with Sonny and doing some Summer cleaning. Today I went through a bunch of that official crap that I have been accumulating for some time now. I have this soft briefcase sort of thing that I have been toting around for years and years now. I tend to just shove official crap in there and forget about it. I finally emptied it out and sorted through it. Most of it was useless. A zillion and one bank statements from the late 90s. I found the financing receipt for my surround sound system that I bought in 1999. I thought that was pretty cool, until I found a Circuit City receipt for a Receiver and Speaker set that I bought in 1995. Yikes. But I sorted through it and it really wasn't that difficult.

I am now ready to head into the month of August and will be ready to meet my 30's head on. "I'm a ganster," I'm here to win.

A little something about Manny Ramirez real quick like. Never was there a more media driven non-story than this. We don't even actually know what Manny said about wanting a trade. We don't actually know how serious the Red Sox were about trading him. And Red Sox fans don't know what to do. They booed him on Friday. Why? They don't know. ESPN told them that he hated them. Then, and you may find this hard to believe, but ESPN was wrong. I single them out, because they lead the field in over blowing things for the purpose of keeping their sensational network on top. They gotta feed the monkey right? Then came word on Sunday morning that maybe Manny was misunderstood a little bit when it came to some of that drama. Then the Red Sox realized that they were insane for trading the best hitter in baseball for Mike Cameron and strikeout king Adam Dunn. So what happens. 4 oclock comes. No Deal. Manny comes in to pinch hit. Gets a standing ovation from the Fenway faithful. Gets the game winning hit, and the love fest is on. Boston Loves Manny, Manny Loves Boston. He tells ESPN that this is where he wants to be. ESPN says uh well um he said he wanted a trade, we're pretty sure.

My problem is not really with the media exactly. They're doing their job. Their job is to sell ad time. Period. Make the show as exciting as possible. But we are now honestly to a point were the stories are affecting the decisions that are being made. Theres just a problem here.

That said. Manny is a straight up stud. I'd have loved to see him as a Dodger. But I'm glad he didn't get traded.

-T

No comments: