Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Los Angeles

I'd like to take a moment to talk about the City of Los Angeles California. What might be one of the most misunderstood cities on Earth. Let me come right out and say this. I Love LA. No really. I love every bit of that place. ITs big, its true. But it is an amazing place.

Myths:

The Cost of living is high. Somewhat. Rent is certainly higher there than a lot of places. Most other things are the same or cheaper. Cable is the same. Telephone cost much less. Power cost much much much less than other places I have lived. Wages are considerably higher. All that said, even rent is quite a bit less in LA than it is in San Fransisco, Chicago, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and DC.

The Traffic is awful:
Ok, thats true. But I have found that it is true most everywhere else too. Its true, you don't go anywhere in LA without a plan. There isn't going to be a lot of little whim trips to Best Buy. Its a big busy place. But what we are talking about is knowing what your doing. Know where you are going, know what you are doing? Know how to get to places and what the best way to go at what time of day is. Its not like you can't get to some places, you just need to pay a little more attention than other places.
Traffic myth part 2: Contrary to popular belief, LA has decent public transportation. I lived there for a year without a car, and I didn't sweat it in the least. There is a great subway. Its not a widespread system, but it is one very good line that runs through the heart of the city. Again. You have to do your homework, but the train and buses can get you anywhere in the city.

Everyone in LA is fake:
Um ok? I don't know what this even really means. Movie Stars? I guess so. I lived there, I'm mostly real. My neighbors and people I worked with were real. It's a city full of regular people doing regular things like everyone else.

Oh by the way, Its sunny in LA every single day. There are mountains and there is beach. There are Superstars and cowboys. It is all of the cool things you always heard about when you were a kid. Before you became jaded and crabby. Sunset Blvd. Hollywood and Vine. Dodger Stadium. La Brea Tar Pits. Venice Beach. The Santa Monica Pier. Mulholland Drive. Beverly Hills. Rodeo Drive. LAX. Burbank. Ikea. The In-and-Out Burger. The Getty Center. The Disney Music Hall. The 101 freeway. The Coliseum. The Rose Bowl. The Beverly Center. Malibu. The Lakers. The Dodgers. The Walk of Fame. Grauman's Chinese Theater. Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. UCLA/USC. The Shrine Auditorium and the Great Western Forum. Griffith Park and the Observatory. The Hollywood Sign. And did I mention that the Sun Shines every single day.

For my money, there is no better city on Earth.

-T

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

We should go back there!