Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The All-Star Game

I kind of avoided the All Star game yesterday, just because I was watching it and it wasnt quite finished yet. I have to say now though. The All-Star game and all that surrounds it, is one of my favorite sports events of the year. One of the things that is great about baseball, is that it is a long season. Unlike other sports, following a team's ups and downs over a whole season is what is great. There are so many games that every single day, the standings are fluctuating back and forth. The course of an entire Baseball season is a lot like a single game of basketball or football. And the All-Star game is like the half time show. But in this case, the players participate in the festivities. Its just a great time, for everyone to take a little break from the pennant races and celebrate being baseball fans. It is also great, because baseball is the only sport with separate leagues. The AL and NL are much more than just a carefully constructed organizational tool made for the purpose of structuring a schedule and post season. There is real history to these leagues. There are people, like myself, who classify themselves as a "NL guy" or "AL Girl" To me, saying a player played in the American League is like saying they play in the Canadian League. There is some pride at stake for some of us and for the players involved. I wont get into the arguments about home field advantage or how the players are selected. I just want to say, that this All-Star break was a great one. Steph and I got some Hot Dogs, beer and Cracker Jack and sat down in our living room and watched the game. And yes, the AL won again. ERRRR but what can you do? Its ok. The teams are coming out of the locker rooms now. Its time for the 2nd half. Which reminds me. Expect some posts about those damned Dodgers and how the heck we are going to get back in this race.

-Tom

No comments: