Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Ultimate Star Wars Saturday

I am undertaking a project today that most will find a bit ridiculous. I am going to watch all 6 Star Wars movies in one day. Before you laugh, what are YOU doing today that is so great? I will write a brief update after I finish each one. its 8:30 AM and time to get started.
Here's where the fun begins.

Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Ok. 1 down 5 to go. The Phantom Menace: one of the world's most underappreciated movies. A great introduction. Setting the stage very well for all that is too come. People think it is childish, and they hate Jar Jar Binks. I have a whole blog forthcoming about why I like Jar Jar. This is a very good start wars movie. And now that the there has been a shift in the order that we watch the movies. This really works well as an intro. It is the inciting incident for the series as a whole. If its the first one you have seen, it is a great way to get people excited about seeing what comes next. Looking back, I know that everyone I know that saw the movie that did not know much about Star Wars, really liked it. It's only the Star Wars nuts that disliked it. Things like the significance of the Trade Federation and the Droid Army were lost on people who knew Star Wars well. They had too much baggage with them and rejected anything new as NOT FITTING the originals. While New people accepted everything as new and were simply interested in seeing where it would go. I had this problem as well. I reveled in the things that were obviously significant to the originals, and ignored the things that did not. Turns out, some of those things do have significance to the originals. It just wasn't obvious at the time. Watching it now that the story is complete really makes you realize just how significant it all is. Especially the Trade Fed, the droids and the rise of Palpatine.

It is a little sadder though. When I saw Anakin as a boy in the theater, I was very excited. Now when I saw him for the first time, it just makes me sad.

By the way, the acting is fine. So shut up.

Clones up next.

Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Another one finished and right on schedule. Attack of the Clones has has the worst time of all in Star Wars I think. It is the one saddled with the most "work" to do. It is the most expositionary film. It has more to accomplish as far as tying things together than even Revenge of the Sith. Clones is like an unsung Tight End throwing a key block so that the superstar Running Back can run free and clear for the Game Winning Touchdown. Menace is fun and exciting. Sith is Dark and sad. Clones is the one stuck with tying them together in addition to tying trilogies together. The great thing about Clones is that it does such a great job at being so functional while managing to still be a very compelling movie.

Like Menace, it is just that much more amazing to watch the plot develop from Palpatine. When we got into the prequels, I think we were all so interested in the Anakin/Vader story that we may have overlooked the Republic/Empire transformation. Clones really weaves and intricate plot. It also brings to the forefront, the Stormtroopers and their beginnings. Something we didn't even know we cared about. Its awesome that Lucas let us get so involved with them. They are an Iconic part of the Original Trilogy and we never really even thought about them.

Watching it now, post-Sith, I'm really drawn to the romantic scenes between Anakin and Padme. Having seen Anakin in Sith, I now notice how young he looks in Clones and how he was still very boy-like. I never had any problems with the Romance, as many did, but I am now much more affected by them. Tragedy creeps in yet again. I can't wait until tonight. I can finally get some relief from the grief.

Off to see Revenge of the Sith at the Megaplex at Jordan Commons, for the 10th and what should be final time. *tear*

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

I'm back from the Movie. The last time I'll see ROTS in the theater, and it was great. I won't say too much here, as I have been talking about this movie non-stop for 2 months now. It was nice to see it so quickly after the others. I enjoyed very much watching Qui-Gon Jinn this morning and then having them talk about him in Sith. And I love Obi-Wan. His character is perfect. I can't wait to see him again. 20 years later.

I must start the old ones ASAP or I'll be up all night. This should be interesting.


Episode IV: A New Hope

4 down 2 to go. We are making progress now. Now that was an interesting experience. This is the first time I have seen the original Star Wars since the last one. And it does feel different. Its like I have memories now. When certain things happen. Like you see the Droids, Vader, Obi-Wan and Owen and Beru. And its like I have little mini flashbacks to what already happened there. Its very strange. Because I know the movies so well, yet there are still new things to think about now. The coolest thing is when Obi-wan is talking to Luke and he mentions The Force. Luke replies "the force?" Obi-Wan gives a little smile and half a laugh, realizing that this person he is talking to has never heard of the thing he has spent 60 years studying. Funny thing was that this time, I laughed too. I thought the exact same thing Obi-Wan was thinking..."Oh right, you don't know anything about this, even though you are the son of the most powerful force user in the Galaxy" I also was amazed by how pained Obi looks when talking about Anakin. Its unclear if Lucas knew that Vader and Anakin were the same person when the first movie was made. But whatever he told Alec Guinness to do sure works well for today. I felt like I could see all of the Prequels on his face. Fantastic.

This movie, like Phantom, tends to be a lot of set up now. With most of the meat of the Trilogy to come. Its very simple, which is nice. The Empire Strikes Back is next. This was the first movie I ever saw in my life, and has been my favorite for as long as I can remember.

Onward we go...

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

One more put away and one more to go. Man I love that movie. Its not that its overwhelmingly different or anything, but it has a different feel to it now. The biggest thing is, that I do feel like I'm watching it from a new point of view. I noticed a big difference in Yoda's cave. Luke is talking to Yoda and you can hear Obi-Wan's voice. It use to be like me and Luke were there discovering some new things with Yoda and Obi-Wan. Now I feel like its Obi-Wan, Yoda and Me watching this kid. I relate to them now. Its a cool new perspective. Before Luke says something about his father and Yoda says, "Your father. Powerful Jedi was he" I used to think like Luke, just imagining what Yoda is talking about. Now I really respond to it. I reflect back just like Yoda. Its pretty weird.

Also, I noticed when I see Luke and Leia. I find myself comparing them to their Mom and Dad. I feel like I know Anakin and Padme better than Luke and Leia. That is probably just because since May of 1999 I have seen all three Prequels somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 times and I probably havent watched the Originals more than 5 times each in thats same span.

I do think Anakin when I see Vader now. I think of Padme every time I see Leia. If there is one gripe I have now, is that no one seems to care about Padme at all in the Originals. No one is interested in her. I wish Obi had told Luke something about his mother. Its not like he didnt know her. She's an awesome character and I wish there was some sort of legacy to her.

Ok, one more to go. Woo Hoo.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

I'll have to say, this movie has been my least favorite for sometime. After having watched it again today, it is still my least favorite. When it was just the finale of one trilogy, it may have been ok. However, as the finale to a 6 part movie it is very weak. I mean its not a bad movie. And the last 30 minutes or so are as good as any Star Wars movie. But most of the rest of it seems so boring. 35 minutes of being on Tattooine to rescue Han. To be honest, I could live without it. The Dagobah scenes are great. The Lightsaber Finale and Space Fight are great. The Endor/Ewoks is a bit boring. On top of all that, it takes place way out in the middle of nowhere. I would like to see the finale adventure take place on Coruscant. I know why they couldnt do that then. But I'd love to see it now. Luke sneaking into the ruins of the Temple, duking it out with Palpatine in his main chambers. That would be great.

Same goes for this one as the others. I love knowing everything and then watching Luke as he figures it out. I still wish someone would talk to Luke about his mother. His mother dies in childbirth. Luke comes in contact with 5 people in this movie that knew his mother relativly well, but the only person he asks about her is his twin sister. Go figure.

The finale is great. The celebration of Planets. Its really nice to see Naboo. Its really nice to see Hayden back as Anakin in ghost form. That was a brilliant move. After seeing what happens to him as a result of his trip to Mustafar, it is wonderful to see him the way he really looked.

So, we did it. Sonny and I that is. 13 hours of movies in right at 16 hours of time. Not too shabby. And what a great set of movies it is. This is the longest "marathon" I have ever done. It was a lot of fun. Time to put Star Wars away for a while I guess. Until November 1st when its on DVD. And 2006 when the new toys are out. Til then....May the Force Be with you.

-T

No comments: