Friday, July 29, 2005

The Trade Deadline

Something like 30 hours to go before the big trading deadline. Is this must see tv or what? I have been watching closely as Baseball has become bigger and bigger every year since about 97. It would seem like Baseball is, right now, about as big as ever. And I think one big part of that is that TV outlets have discovered that trade rumors and free agency, the Hot Stove if you will, is a great way to build hype. What matters today is how good your sport is on TV, both in game coverage and behind the scenes reporting. I have noticed in the last two or three years, that the trade/free agent issue in baseball has become the biggest media sell in the sport. I guess its just one of those things. Someone discovered that it was easy to make that into a story.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good story. I'm writing this as I'm checking the updates right now. In fact, I actually began to write this tonight about who I wanted the Dodgers to go after and if Manny Ramirez will be traded. I caught myself only at the last minute. Its bizarre really. I don't know when it happened. I mean I realize that trades and the deadline has always been important. But I just don't remember the fervor that seems to accompany it nowadays. Its exciting though. I'm just as caught up as everyone else.

So the world will keep watch for the next day, anxiously waiting to see what happens. If anything at all. But if the Red Sox can't get their Manny situation straight. I'll be glad to have him in Blue in LA.

We will see.
-T

No comments: