Tuesday, July 12, 2005

A little about Star Wars

I am enjoying he All-Star game tonight. Though the NL is losing, so thats not so good. But I thought Id talk about movies today, and whats been foremost on my mind over the last three months has been Star Wars.

Now, I am a Star Wars fan, thats for sure. Im not too crazy, but I do love it. I did wait in line to see it at midnight. I got there around 4pm and waited 8 hours. Not as nuts as you might think. There were a lot of people out there and it was a lot of fun.

So Star Wars mania is dying down now. The toy sections in Wal Mart are beginning to condense. And what will most likely be the last big Star Wars merchandise roll out is going away. Saturday, the movie made what will probably be its last 1 million dollar single day. And it has been just about 2 months since the movie opened to a record 50 million dollar single day. So I thought Id take a moment and reflect on the last Star Wars movie.

This just in, I liked it. When I saw it, I was amazed. Its difficult to judge a movie right away when you have looked forward to it for so long. There are no other movies like this. There is no other film in the history of movies that had this kind of expectation. In 1980, Star Wars fans learned two things. 1. That Darth Vader had a history, and a good one. and 2. That there were three other movies out there too be seen. We weren't always sure that we would see it, but Star Wars Episode 3 existed in theory and we waited 25 years to see it.

I couldnt sleep after I saw it. I got home at 3 AM and Steph and I talked about it for a while. I saw the movie 3 more times that first weekend, and have seen it 4 times since for a total of 8. It has really gotten better with each viewing. It perfectly connects the Original movies with the New films. It accomplished all it needed to accomplish, which was a lot. It met and exceeded expectations. I hate to gush all over it, but I simply cant help it. It was everything I have had in mind since I was 5 years old and much more. I am glad to have finally seen it, but Im sad to let it go.

I have spent almost all of my life that I can remember knowing some of what happened in this movie, but not knowing how. I find it weird now, to know. And like a lot of people, I dont want it to be over. I am excited to see the upcoming TV show, and to see where that might go.

This movie also represents the end of the Second trilogy. A group of movies, that as a whole has been much maligned. I must gush again and say that I have loved the Prequel Trilogy. I think it has been fantastic from start to finish. It is the perfect complementary piece to the Original Trilogy. Different in and the same in many ways. I wonder if I dont like them better in fact. All this leading to my They should remake the originals argument. But I ll save that for later.

All and all, the Star Wars fan in me is as content as can be. I got everything I wanted, and thats a great feeling.


Errr, the National League lost again. I hate the American League!

Thats all for now.

and

Ive got a bad feeling about this

-T

1 comment:

Tickles_Tapeworm said...

I'm of almost the same opinion. I hated episode I and II, yet loved them at the same time. I think they made episode III much better by contrast.

Now, episode III, I truly enjoyed that one. It was (a little) more serious than the previous two, and held much more real emotion.

I still have one gripe. Anakin was "The Greatest Starfighter in the Galaxy", yet we only see him behind the controls on a few occasions (pod race, battle over Naboo, speeder chase through Coruscant, and battle over Coruscant). Even as Darth Vader, we still only see him piloting one vehicle, and he didn't do that great imo. Sure, they may show a little more in the Clone Wars cartoons, but that isn't the same to me.