Monday, July 11, 2005

All-Star Disgrace?

For anyone who might think Im about to talk badly about baseball, you dont know me yet. In the past week I have heard the term disgrace used three different times in reference to some baseball issues. The dictionary describes disgrace as "a state of dishonor" or "To bring shame and dishonor upon" or "to reduce in worth or character" Now, to me, this sounds like a pretty harsh thing to say. Lets see if these are worthy of being labeled a disgrace.

Early last week, Andrew Siciliano of the Fox Morning Extravaganza refered to Kenny Rogers being allowed to attend the All-Star Game as a disgrace. For anyone who doesnt know, Kenny Rogers, Rangers Pitcher, got a little irritated at a cameraman a few weeks ago and shoved the guy's camera. He was suspended for 20 games and fined $50,000. He is also having a great season and was voted by other players to the all star team. By rule, his suspension doesn't apply to the All-Star game. Now Andrew, and many others, feel that Rogers has no business appearing in the Game after what he did. I can certainly understand this, as it was an ugly incident. But a disgrace? C'mon Andrew. He will get announced, some fans will boo and then it will be forgotten in like 30 seconds.

Last Thursday, I was listening to, I believe, a Royals game on XM. During the game, the broadcasters were discussing Pedro Martinez's decision not to attend the All-Star game after being selected. The announcer refered to this decision as "a disgrace" Now, heres Pedro. Hes got a rough edge. He rubs people the wrong way a lot of times. Hes cocky and arrogant and has been for a long time. However, he was going to pitch on Sunday, just two games before the All-Star game. So he would not be able to pitch in the game at all. He is notoriously a bit fragile and stated that hed really like to take the extra time off to rest. Indeed, the last time he pitched in the All-Star game he injured himself and was not as good as his usual nasty self for the rest of that season. He has been to several all star games before and stated that since he would not be playing hed like to give someone else a chance to attend, who would get to play. Now you can choose to look at this with a jaded eye if you dont like him, but a disgrace? C'mon Mr. whateveryournamewas.

This weekend, I was watching Fox Sports when Rob Dibble came on. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Dibbs. Which is to say sometimes I love him and sometimes I hate him, and he doesn't know me at all. Except for one time I talked to him on the Radio but he disagreed with me. Whateva. He was talking about this year's All-Star team. And how one person was missing. Mmm Hmm, thats right, Derek Jeter. According to Dibble, the fact that Jeter did not make the All-Star Team is "a disgrace" Now I like Jeter. I, like most things on earth with a pulse and many without, Hate the Yankees. However, Derek Jeter is a straight up baseball playing stud. He's a humper to first degree and Id build my team around this guy as much as anyone else. I think he should be in the All-Star game too. Without a doubt. I am very very surprised that he is not. But a disgrace? C'mon Dibbs, a little perspective buddy.

What I cant stand is all the superlatives. Why is everything the worst or greatest thing we ever saw. Remember when Curt Warner was one of the Greatest Quarterbacks ever? What happened to that guy? "Outrage" "travesty" "Disgrace" Can we just take it easy and watch sports from time to time. Thats what I do. Lets save these terms for things with a little more meat. Kenny Rogers threw a Tantrum. So what? Put him up next to Mark McGwire and tell me again how K Rog is a disgrace.

-T

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Tom, you were born to blog!

Bradley Herring said...

What's certainly right about baseball right now is seeing some of the best PURE hitters beating the hell out of the ball. People like Pujols and Andruw Jones. And Bobby Abreu, my God. That display last night was exactly what is right about baseball, a man with real God-given talent putting it all on display.