Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Sim City

So I must say I have been obsessing over public transportation again. Theres a sentence that no one ever says. Its just so dog gone simple. I took a look at the LA map today and started figuring out where I'd build new subway tunnels. Wow. I dig urban planning. Its the only political job I think I could stand to have. My problem is that its just not fast enough. I'm basically looking for a life sized version of Sim City. Where I can bend and shape my city at will in a very short time span. Plus, where I can afford to make mistakes.

The other catch is that people don't all seem to agree with me. Anakin would say "then they should be made to" Well I won't go that far, but it does put a damper on the what would you do if you were in charge question. I'd spend the 10 Billion dollars that it would take to Extend the Metro Red Line from Downtown to the Beach. And dig a new Subway under the 405 from the Valley to the Airport. It would revolutionize traffic in LA. But people love their cars right? So what do you do? Tell them its for their own good. Darn that real life. You can't do that I guess. You have to actually convince them that it would be great. And of course people don't listen. And, they're afraid to try something new. They spend an hour inching through the mountains stopping and starting. Knuckles gripping the steering wheels trying to stay alert. Making sure no one cuts them off. All because they are too lazy or scared to try something new. The new thing of course would lead to a 20 minute trip, sitting down reading the newspaper and relaxing.

If it were Sim City, I'd open the subway and then bulldoze a chunk out of the freeway just to make everyone take it.

Oh well, what can you do. It does look the city is looking toward doing the right thing. Now that the full Red Line has been open for 5 years, people are starting to see how great they are and are beginning to push for new subways. Sadly it will be 2020 before they are open. ERRRRRR.

-T

No comments: