Monday, January 16, 2006

Tony Dungy and the Damned Colts

The Colts Lost yesterday. While they managed to make it a close game, they really looked lousy.

Several weeks ago I wrote about how mad I was at Tony Dungy and the Colts. How I thought that played a half-assed game against the Chargers. They couldn't decide if they wanted to go for it or not. They couldn't pick a side. Either go for the record or rest your players. They chose to just sort of play half way and see how it goes. They played like crap, they looked like crap and they lost at home in ugly fashion.

People said that they would ok and that they were still the favorite to win the Super Bowl. I said no. I said that they would not win another game this year.

Guess what. I was wrong. They lost the next week, and in the last week of the season they played lackluster football and beat a lousy Cardinals team by 4 points. Then the played uninspired football against the Steelers yesterday and they got beat.

Today, Tony Dungy has come out and said this season was a failure. Hey T, who do you blame for that? I know his son killed himself, and that is certainly sad. It has no bearing on this however. Look back and see how you handled this team. Tell me what message you sent to your troops back in December. What message did you send when you said things like this? We want to get the record, but our goal is to stay healthy for the playoffs. or We play every game to win but we know the playoffs are what is important.

I think they should have gone all out for the record, but I won't get into that. The point is that he should have committed one way or the other. Not play the "well, we'll see how it goes" game. Either come out and say we are going for it. Or come out and say, Payton and the starters are going to play 3 or 4 series and thats it. No guts.

And now the "season is a failure." Thats not right. I am very unimpressed.

-T

No comments: