Saturday, January 28, 2006

Fantasy Baseball

Just a little post to talk about whats on my mind. Its that time again. This will be the 4th year that I have hosted a fantasy baseball league. Its kind of nerdy. Yes, thats true. Beyond that though, its a pretty cool way to follow baseball.

I'm not sure, but it may be a little contradictory to some of my baseball beliefs. I believe that it is more important to be a fan of a particular team than it is to be a fan of a particular sport. I think this is very important. We have too many fans of a league (the NFL and NBA leap to mind) and not enough fans of the Chiefs, Lions, Raptors and Kings. The sport becomes more important than your team. I think that creates a very dull, low-passion, league.

So I worry a little that playing fantasy baseball goes against this principal. I know it does in theory, but it doesn't really affect my love for the Dodgers so in actuality its fine.

What it does do, is keep me more in touch with the players that are out there and what teams they are on. It gives me something to check on every day. That is what is great about Baseball anyway. There is new input every single day. And it is a 6 month race that moves just a little at a time. I love that.

I'm excited to get started once again. We will see if this year I can actually win my own league.

-Tom Andrews
Team Owner
Hollywood Swingers

No comments: