Monday, March 06, 2006

Ok, lets talk about Crash

Let me come right out and say this...I did not want Crash to win Best Picture. I did not think it was the best movie of the year. I did not think it should have been nominated for best picture at all. So lets talk about why.

The makers of Crash, and it supporters too, have done something that bothers me a little bit. They have positioned Crash to be a "provacative" movie. They can say "If someone doesn't like it, then we have done a good job." The problem here is this. The reason I didn't like it has nothing to do with the subject matter. The reason I don't like it, is that it is a flawed film from a filmmaking point of view.

The problem for me is that the film doesn't work as a story. The Acting is fantastic. The Cinematography is great. And, for the most part, the scenes are well written. As a collection of scenes, however, it just doesn't add up to any kind of satisfying resolution. Its like there's no end. I can accept the idea that all of these people's lives are incredibly intertwined. Its just that this strange circle of people never really go anywhere or amount to much. It really is just a collection of scenes that deal with a very serious topic. While it may work to make a strong point about racial disharmony, it really falls short as a story that works.

Another issue is this. In any movie, you must be careful to be true to your characters and your story while trying to make your point. In this case, the filmmakers seem to be pushing so hard to get their point across, that sometimes the characters do and say things that seem unnatural. Terrence Howard's reaction to the police after being hijacked is simply too much to be believed. I could believe he would freak and give Ludacris what he gave him. But he puts the gun in his pants and steps out to the police who have guns on him? No way. That was unnatural. And you might say that someone would actually do that, and I believe it could happen. But they did not show me anything about his character that would make that action believable. Another thing, is pretty much all of Ryan Phillippe's role in the films ending. It all just doesn't work for me. Phillippe and Tate in the car posturing to each other. Its the same old tired "Let me show you whats in my pocket/Take your hand out of your pocket or I'll shoot" bit. Its stupid. How about just say something like. "Hey, I have a statue just like yours. Its in my pocket, can I show you?" And then I am to believe that Ryan Phillippe, the good cop, just burns his car and hides the evidence. The guy had a gun on him. Who wouldn't believe that the guy tried to pull the gun on him? No one, thats who. You can't lose touch with reality just to prove a point. No matter how good the point.

These flaws are from a purely filmmaking point of view are not based on the issue of racism. So without even getting into that, the film has some serious shortcomings. I think many of those were overlooked because people were so enamored by its strong stance on Racism. But you still have to do your job. This movie faked its way to the Oscar. Its like Country music. If you pick a subject that is serious and important and that everyone is passionate about, then they won't notice when do shoddy work. Thats just the way it is.
-T

No comments: