Monday, May 29, 2006

A new Look at an Old Movie

First let me say how much I love Boogie Nights. This is one of my favorite films ever. I saw Boogie Nights for the first time in May of 1998. I immediately thought it was fantastic. I rented it two or three times that summer and tried to copy it to a tape of my own. Yes, that was wrong. The only reason I didn't buy it on tape of course was that I was going to be getting a DVD player that Christmas. My friends also liked Boogie Nights. We did, or course, get the film on DVD and watched it again and again. It was pretty much a full year of Boogie Nights in our Apartment. Along the way came a liking for the film's director, Paul Thomas Anderson. Since the film was conceived, written and directed by him, we considered ourselves P.T.A. fans. And so we eagerly awaited his next movie.


Magnolia. aka PTA's I can do whatever I want film.

After Boogie Nights, PTA got pretty close to blank check and free reign to do what he wanted with his next movie, and thats what he did.
The Trailer was very promising. And I admit, expectations were high.

Then we saw it. My feelings were all over the place. Watching the movie I was engrossed in all of the Hoffman/Robards scenes, but not so much in the others. When the Frogs came at the end, I really loved it. My first reaction was that I really liked it a lot. Though I talked with Brian that night about it, and the more I examined it, the more I was dissappointed. Then I watched the trailer a few more times. I love this trailer. And I started remembering all the things I loved about the movie. I went back to see it again, and was dissappointed. Brian, on the other hand, loved it the second time.

Thus began a 6 year debate over what is or is not wrong with this movie. For years we have talked about this thing, and for years I have been frustrated about how the movie isn't what seems/claims to be.

My problems with the movie. First, it's too long. Say what you will. Call me a low-brow Joe Six-Pack if you want. It's TOO DAMN LONG. It's not even that there are unneeded scenes, its just that scenes go on too long.

Second, it doesn't really work as well in the coincidence department as it wants too. They set up the film with a series of interesting though not really relevant urban legends. At least two of which are untrue. They use them as a way to set up the idea that strange things happen all the time. The film's characters are all somewhat interconnected and are all experiencing harrowing and bizarre events on one day in a small area of Los Angeles. This never comes through as well as it should or could. I read recently that initially there was a scene where it is explained that all of this is happening within a one square mile part of town, but it was cut for time reasons. THREE HOURS LONG and this is what they cut out?

I have watched this film a few times since the first time. Probably 4 or 5 now. And one thing is true. Generally I have been more and more happy with it each time. Last night, I watched it again. And a something occurred to me. I really like this movie. A lot. And I really always have. And what I realize, after dealing with the DaVinci Code movie reviewer debacle last week, is that I am grading this movie unfairly.

I still generally feel about its problems, the same way I have always felt. Actually its not its length that as much as the pacing. Its plods along in the end, when it really should pick up the pace. The idea of the freakishness of the situations linked by a freak of nature event still does not come across as well as it should. But the movies is really good. It could be great. I mean really great. But its only very good. I have been treating it like it could be good, but instead is bad. I've been giving it the DaVinci Code treatment. Like I think it should be an 85 but its so its a 35. The truth is, it IS an 85, but it COULD BE a 95.

So let it be said. I like Magnolia. If I ever said I didn't, I take it back. I like it. Its a very good movie. Its a great movie. I love it. I really like it. Its not even that it has some problems any more. I can think of some things that would have made it better, but that does not detract from what is there.

No comments: